Sunday, May 4, 2008

headaches

So I've already missed some work due to un-medicatable migraines. I know you're supposed to be able to take Tylenol, but a) the gremlin is developing like mad right now and I really don't want to disrupt that and b) Tylenol probably won't do squat for my migraines anyway.

So what's a gal to do? Nate has suggested acupuncture, and I'm going to ask my OB about it at our appointment next week. I have a two page list of questions to ask him, poor guy...although I'm sure he's used to it. Apparently acupuncture can work really well as a preventative for headaches and morning sickness and all sorts of stuff so if Dr. George gives me the thumbs up I'll be full steam ahead. I'd really like to avoid taking any sort of over the counter remedies even though I'm normally a huge believer in better living through chemistry (that will be in evidence when I go into labor and immediately demand morphine and an epidural).

But in the meantime I'd like to keep the pill-popping to a minimum and I think that acupuncture may be a good way to do that.

I'm just about done with my sewing projects for now, I may even put the sewing machine away (gasp!) when I finish up this last skirt. Or maybe not.

Status report - a bit of back pain probably due to spending approximately 36 hours in bed with a migraine, a bit tired, a tiny bit of nausea but so far it's only after I eat, heartburn is still on vacation, hooray!

2 comments:

Paterson Family said...

I am already battling some nasty headaches and cannot just go to bed, as i'd like to, with a 2 year old to look after :(

Migraines are helped DRAMATICALLY by acupuncture. I have had treatment done and it works so so well. It is completely safe during pregnancy (so long as the acupuncturist knows your pregnant). My doc recommended that if i were to fall pregnant that i see my acupuncturist right away. Seeming like a very good idea right now.

katy gray said...

good to know - i can't really stay home every time i get one so I'll definitely be bringing it up with dr. george next week. i'm sure he'll say it's fine, i just want to make sure he's current on everything i'm doing!

sorry to hear you're getting the headaches already, that is massive suck.